Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thoughts on "Leda and the Swan"

I remember thinking about this the other day in class, when we were talking about "Leda and the Swan," but we ran out of time before I could formulate my thought; and then I forgot to post it. So here it is.

As we talked about the poem, I realized that Leda and the swan are two opposing forces but also, more importantly, that Yeats himself had opposing forces clawing at his own psyche: his paradoxically nationalist yet anti-nationalist tendencies/leanings. How does one believe in something but NOT believe in it at the same time? Thus, in my mind, "Leda and the Swan" is Yeats's way of dealing with that. I think what really made me start thinking about this was when someone mentioned that Yeats was the swan, the rapist. I thought, "Well, couldn't he also be Leda, in a way?" The word "indifferent" was a significant (pardon the in-sentence pseudo-rhyming) catalyst for my theory. The thoughts began to gel. While we can see Yeats as the swan, it is just as interesting to see him as Leda. In this way, we can imagine Yeats's struggle with his opposing ideals, his nationalist and anti-nationalist views. As Leda, he feels as though he himself is the rape victim of England (or civil war, as we mentioned in class) and, more specifically, nationalist ideals (Or is it anti? I'm confused as to how that works. With the British colonization/overthrow, does "nationalist" become a reference to the NEW system, the British-run Ireland, or does it refer to old Ireland?). In any case, if we use what someone said in class, the idea that the swan MIGHT entice Leda (in a sense), this theory seems correct. This would refer to Yeats's nationalist (?) leanings as being enticing yet terrifying at the same time. Finally, I'd like to look at the last lines: "Did she put on his knowledge with his power / Before the indifferent beak could let her drop?" We already talked about what these lines mean. We said that the narrator is wondering whether Leda copied/took the swan's knowledge/wisdom, while also mentioning his power, and this would make sense for my reading of the poem, but the last line is more significant. The "indifferent beak" seems to be another reference to Yeats's ideological struggle, as it implies that the swan itself (again, metonymy comes into play) is indifferent. He doesn't know what to think; he's confused about what is right and wrong; he is on both sides, so to speak, of the issue.

Does anyone have any comments? Could this be correct? Why or why not? I didn't have a lot of time to articulate this; it was just a thought I had.

No comments: