Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Room of One's Own

I believe it pretty much goes without saying that Virginia Woolf is an extreme feminist. And, it should also go without saying that A Room of One's Own is an extremely feminist work, dealing mainly with the issue of male oppression of females. Normally, a work like this has to be extremely persuasive for me to really listen. This is by no means because I have a single misogynistic bone in my body, but I just view it as complaining. I know that there is a strong argument that literature is a great vehicle for enlightening people to issues such as this one, but there are a number of much more active things that a person could be doing instead of just writing. However, I will say that this work does not seem to me to be complaining as much as others I have read in the past. Woolf's technique for pointing out that women are being oppressed is much more unique and useful than just simply complaining about its occurrence. The fact that the work is somewhat of a story and not simply an essay helps to eliminate any natural guard the reader may have against feminist ideas. The best thing that Woolf does is to actually propose real solutions. Granted many feminists have proposed solutions, Woolf's use of a room of one's own to symbolize all of the solutions is very effective. Through this, Woolf gives an actual thing that women need, instead of simply saying freedom and rights. The room helps embody the rights and freedoms that women must have to actually be equal to men.

No comments: