Monday, February 18, 2008

A Room for One's Own: What I got

As I read this story, I felt I was reading the thoughts of a strong feminist. I felt that there was a lot about the oppression of women and how their lives are dependent on men, therefore they are lower than men. Because they are dependent on their male counterparts, they are not able to achieve the same fame or appreciation for their literary works that men get. In other words, female authors are not as successful or recognized because they weren't "as good" as male authors (such as Judith, Shakespeare’s twin). Woolf explains the plight of women in terms of possessions. Women do not have writing rooms or enough money. But this, I think Woolf is making a slightly more symbolic point. By her room, I think she is referring not only a quiet place to write and concentrate on their material, but also I think she is referring to a place in society. A social equality that allows women the same respect as men. A “place” where women may write and gather the same support for their works, something that was not commonplace at the time. By money, I believe Woolf is referring to financial stability, and also to financial independence. From the reading, I think she is trying to make a case that any woman who wishes to write may do so, but she would need to be financially secured, not having to rely on a male to support her as she goes about her endeavors.

No comments: